Chickpea Salad Sandwich
All hail my latest obsession—chickpea salad sandwiches. This recipe is incredibly flavorful, hearty, nutritious, simple, and comes together quickly!
Yield: 4 large sandwiches
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. grainy mustard
- 3 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- big pinch black pepper
- 1/3 large yellow onion roughly diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely diced
- 1/2 medium-sized cucumber chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 20 cherry tomatoes halved
- 10 romaine lettuce leaves
- 8 slices gluten free bread
In a large mixing bowl, smash chickpeas, mustard, mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper with a fork or smashing tool until the chickpeas are 3/4 smashed (or smashed to your preferred consistency).
Stir in onion, garlic, cucumber, and celery until well combined.
Layer the lettuce, chickpea salad and tomatoes over a slice of bread. Top with a second slice.
Reserve leftover salad refrigerated in airtight container for up to 5 days. Spread over bread only when ready to enjoy.