Friends, mac and “cheese” truly has no limits.
Vegan mac has been a wonder to me. I have tried everyone from a rich cashew-based “cheese” sauce to a creamy squash-based sauce.
This week I mixed things up a bit and threw a few new ingredients in my blender.
Cook up some pasta + let me introduce you to the most vibrant mac + cheese with brussels sprouts!
The base of this creamy mac + cheese is carrots and chickpeas. Carrots give the base an earthy, slightly sweet flavor, while the chickpeas create a creamy texture and adds lots of protein. And, to really take this dish to a new level, I sautéed up some brussels sprouts.
If you’ve ever wondered how make mac + cheese a little healthier, this recipe is for you. It is loaded with veggies, packed with nutrients, and loaded with protein to keep you going!
I hope you love my Vibrant Vegan Mac + “Cheese” with Brussels Sprouts! It is:
Packed with Flavor
& Seriously Good For You!
If you try this recipe, be sure to comment, leave a rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thelocalsprout on Instagram! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
- 8 ounces gluten free elbow pasta (I used banza pasta)
- 3 large carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- big pinch black pepper
- 1½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk (I used cashew milk)
- 1 cup brussels sprouts—fresh or frozen
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- pinch salt + pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- Add carrots to a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until carrots are fork-tender. Drain and add to blender.
- Add remaining mac + cheese ingredients to blender. Blend on high until a thick, creamy sauce has formed.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add brussels sprouts, salt and pepper. Sauté until brussels sprouts are dark and crispy on the outside—about 10 minutes
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta. Stir until combined. Gently toss in brussels sprouts.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers will keep refrigerated in airtight container for up to 5 days.