Mexican night anyone? I’ve been on a Mexican food kick lately and really took my creativity to the next level with this recipe. For all the people avoiding meat out there (and for those of you who just want to try something unique) this Mexican dish is for you! Let’s make some Vegan Mexican Jackfruit Bowls!
Friends, be prepared to be blown away by this dish. The spices, the textures, and the vibrant colors really make this recipe a show stopper.
The base for this bowl is jackfruit, which is cooked up with garlic, onion and tons of spices.
With a splash of a few liquids for the perfect moisture, you’ve got yourself your “meaty” vegan, Mexican bowl filling.
If you’re planning a Mexican party in the near future, or looking for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, look no further, this recipe is for you!
These vegan Mexican jackfruit bowls are incredibly delicious, easy to make, and come together in less than 45 minutes.
If you try this recipe, be sure to comment, leave a rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thelocalsprout on Instagram! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
- 1 20-ounce cans jackfruit* in water or brine
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce (ensure certified gf for gluten free eaters)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup cooked black beans (if canned, drained and rinsed)
- 4 large lettuce cups
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro (optional)
- Rinse, drain, and dry jackfruit from can. Cut off and toss the hard “cores” or centers of each piece. Set remaining portions in a small bowl. Gently tear the jackfruit in the bowl apart in order to “shred” them into desired sized pieces. Set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Dump in the jackfruit, salt, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, coconut sugar, soy sauce, and lime juice.
- Turn heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Taste mixture and adjust spices if desired.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare cabbage bowls by placing layering two large cabbage cups on plates. Layer in the rice, and beans. Divide the jackfruit mixture between the two cups and sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers will keep refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information is a rough estimate of 1 of 2 bowls
The Local Sprout