This week I wore a sweater to work, ordered a hot latte, and began craving soup.
Cue all the fall recipes.
I love a good, flavorful soup—the creamier, the spicier, the better. Combine that with my love of Thai food and you’ve got this recipe.
This soup is perfect for those nights when you don’t want to think about an elaborate meal, but still want something hearty and delicious. With only a dozen ingredients and 45 minutes you can have this healthy, spicy, and perfectly peanut-buttery soup on your table in no time.
Let’s make Thai Peanut Soup with Kale!
For years (yes, years), I have been meaning to share this recipe. Firstly because it is absolutely delicious, and secondly, because when people ask me what I used to make for myself in college (cooking in a dorm kitchen on a tight budget) this is the recipe I shared.
This soup is inexpensive to make—there really is nothing cheeper than carrots, celery, and PB. It is naturally gluten free and vegan. And it makes A LOT—so it’s the perfect quick lunch or dinner for busy humans who want to eat cozy, delicious food and have easy leftovers.
My thai peanut soup with kale was inspired by—well, my love for peanut sauce, and an overabundance of fresh carrots from the market in September. This creamy soup is incredibly flavorful (from the garlic & onion), creamy (from the pureed carrots), hearty (from the peanut butter), and spicy (from the chili garlic sauce). Throw in some greens for extra color, nutrients and flavor—and you’ve got yourself a delicious soup!
I hope you love my thai peanut soup with kale as much as I do. It is:
& the perfect go-to lunch or dinner!
If you try this recipe, be sure to comment, leave a rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thelocalsprout on Instagram! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 5 cup carrot, chopped (or about 1½ lbs.)
- 1 tsp salt
- big pinch black pepper
- 2 cup water
- 2 cup vegetable broth (or sub more water + extra salt)
- ½ cup natural peanut butter (crunchy or creamy works)
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce more or less depending on how spicy you like your soup
- 2 cup fresh or frozen kale, hard stems removed (or sub spinach)
- fresh of dried herbs (basil, parsley or cilantro)
- extra chili garlic sauce
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, celery, and garlic. Sauté for 5-10 minutes or until veggies are fragrant and onion is translucent.
- Add in carrots, salt, pepper, water and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer covered for 10-15 minutes or until carrots are soft enough to be easily sliced with a knife.
- In a high speed blender (or use an immersion blender), combine soup from the pot with peanut butter and garlic sauce (you may need to do this step in batches depending on the size of your blender).
- Once soup is smooth and creamy, transfer back to large pot and bring to a simmer. Gently stir in kale.
- Serve hot with optional toppings. Leftovers keep for up to 5 days refrigerated in airtight container.