It is day number 2 of my 5 days of overnight oats and I am sharing my current favorite—Sweet Potato Maca Oats! Yesterday I shared a classic (Banana Bread Overnight Oats) recipe and today I am sharing a more unique recipe.
As many of you already know, I love sweet potatoes and mixing them in my morning oats has been game-changing. I love the earthy flavor that sweet potatoes add to my oatmeal—not to mention their lovely, vibrant orange color.
I find that many breakfast recipes are heavily grain and fruit focused—which is totally fine, but lately I’ve been trying to incorporate more veggies into my morning meals. Adding a sweet potato to my oatmeal was a perfect solution to this since sweet potatoes are naturally soft and sweet. I also threw maca into this recipe. Maca has great nutritional benefits, but also has a nutty flavor that I think pairs great with the sweet potato. (See notes section for more on maca)
Don’t be intimidated by the sweet potato in your oats. Give this recipe a try and I bet you’ll love it as much as I do! As always, if you try these overnight oats, be sure to take a picture and tag me in it on Instagram @thelocalsprout. I can’t wait to hear what you think!
- <span></span>1/2 cup [url href=”https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Gluten-Fashion/dp/B002T1IDYI/ref=sr_1_10_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523923260&sr=8-10&keywords=bobs%2Bred%2Bmill%2Boatmeal&th=1″ rel=”nofollow”]rolled oats[/url] (ensure gf for gluten free eaters)
- <span class=”mceItemHidden” data-mce-bogus=”1″><span></span>1/2 medium sized sweet potato</span>
- <span></span>1 tsp [url href=”https://vivanaturals.com/organic-foods/maca-powder” rel=”nofollow”]maca powder[/url]* (sub [url href=”https://wildfriendsfoods.com/collections/all/products/classic-creamy-almond-butter” rel=”nofollow”]nut butter[/url])
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- <span></span>3/4 cup [url href=”http://malkorganics.com/products/” rel=”nofollow”]nut milk[/url]
- 1 tsp honey (or other natural sweetener – optional)
- <span></span>[url href=”https://www.vitalproteins.com/collections/all-products/products/collagen-peptides” rel=”nofollow”]collagen peptides[/url]**, riced cauliflower***
- Prick your sweet potato a few times on each side with a fork. Wrap in a paper towel and microwave on high for about 6 minutes (flipping halfway through) or until soft, tender, and beginning to fall apart.
- Cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise. Set one half aside (store in sealed container in refrigerator for later use) and scoop out the inside of the other half and place in quart-sized mason jar.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the jar. Mix and mash (a fork works well to mash the banana and combine the sticky almond butter). Refrigerate overnight (or at least 3 hours). Enjoy warm (microwaved for 1-2 minutes) or cold—I prefer these overnight oats warm, though they are not bad cold.