Say hello to your new favorite bowl.
As you probably have picked up on by now, I’m a bowl food lover. I love the simplicity of mixing everything from grains, to veggies, to nuts together, to create something delicious + hearty.
This recipe is just that—delicious + hearty (and healthy!) I love sharing it with friends for a casual game-night dinner or as a side for a big party. Everyone loves it + it is simple to make.
Find yourself a little butternut squash + break out the mixing bowls. Today we are making a Roasted Winter Bowl!
In the winter, I love roasted butternut squash. The cozy, earthy flavors that come out when roasted with a little oil, salt + pepper are just what I crave during the cold months. Paired with rustic walnuts, tart cranberries + tangy red onion, this bowl is complex but oh so comforting.
With only a dozen simple ingredients, this bowl can be on your table in very little time! My favorite thing about this dish though, is the amazing leftovers I get for the week ahead. If you manage to save a couple servings, this bowl makes delicious, easy-to-pack lunches for everyone. Heat up the bowl or enjoy cold—you won’t go wrong either way.
I hope you love my Roasted Winter Bowl recipe as much as I do! It is:
Earthy + Warm
Savory + Sweet
Comforting for Winter
& Perfect for any Occasion!
If you try this recipe, be sure to comment, leave a rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thelocalsprout on Instagram! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Roasted Winter Bowl
- 1 small butternut squash cubed
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil or sub coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. honey or sub maple syrup for vegan
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 large red onion finely diced
- 1 15- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tsp dried herbs like parsley or basil for sprinkling (optional)
For the squash:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange squash across it. Toss with avocado oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes or until squash is dark golden and soft, tossing halfway through to ensure evenness.
For the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, honey, olive oil, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
For the bowl:
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- In a large bowl, toss roasted squash, quinoa, onion, chickpeas, walnuts, cranberries, and optional dried herbs.
- Drizzle dressing over the bowl and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Leftovers will keep refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days.