Happy New Years from The Local Sprout ! I hope your weekend was full of family, friends, and lots of delicious food. Lets start the new year strong with a big, nutritious, smoothie recipe. Instead of buying into the new “shake” or “weight-loss bar” fad, lets eat whole, nutritious food and continue to treat our bodies with love. So here we go! I am sharing here on The Local Sprout a new favorite smoothie of mine that is sure to become a go-to for you as well.
About a month ago, I was walking around Whole Foods and came across a sign that said: “Purple Yams”. It was basically my love for sweet potatoes and beautiful colors all in one. I was immediately in love. I proceeded to make purple mashed potatoes and purple sweet potato fries, but my adventures with this new discovery wouldn’t have been complete without giving a purple sweet potato smoothie a try.
The result? A creamy, bright purple, and naturally sweetened smoothie. Of course this recipe could be made with regular sweet potato, but the color of purple yams is worth the extra couple cents per pound. For those of you watching my Instagram (The Local Sprout – @thelocalsprout) stories, you will see that these smoothie bowls have become a regular for me.
The visual astatic of this smoothie is sure to win you all over to the sweet-potato smoothie world. It is a great way to get extra vegetables into your diet and a perfect way to kick off the new year!
- 1 small, purple yam, steamed and frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen coconut meat (you can find this in the frozen fruit section of Trader Joes, Whole Foods or Wegmans)
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower*
- 2 Tbsp. raw cashews**
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://malkorganics.com” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]nut milk[/url]
- 1 tsp natural sweetener (optional)
- Toppings (optional):
- [url href=”https://vivanaturals.com/organic-foods/chia-seeds” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]chia seed[/url], [url href=”https://manitobaharvest.com” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]hemp seed[/url], [url href=”https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Unsweetened-Coconut/dp/B0019GZ84C” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]flaked coconut[/url], [url href=”https://vivanaturals.com/organic-foods/cacao-nibs” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]cacao nibs[/url], chopped nuts or seeds of choice
- Place all ingredients in blender*. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, scraping the edges halfway through to ensure evenness.**
- Pour into cup, sprinkle with toppings if desired and serve immediately.