Just because it’s technically still winter doesn’t me I don’t still crave big smoothies.
After my morning workout I almost always head straight to the blender. There is a sense of accomplishment that I get—moving the body AND getting in fruit + veg before 9am.
This vibrant smoothie has been a go-to of mine as of late + I am so excited to be sharing it with you all. It is extra nutrient dense (let’s talk about that purple ingredient…), customizable (load it with all the toppings your heart could desire), and super easy to make!
Whip our your blender my friends, today we are making my favorite Purple Sweet Potato + Coconut Smoothie!
This recipe starts with my favorite root veg—the purple sweet potato. No matter how many times I cook one of these up, their color, perfectly soft texture, and slightly sweet flavor never fail to amaze me. All these things, plus the high nutrient content of this purple veggie makes it the perfect base for an extra creamy smoothie.
Next we add a little banana for sweetness, cauliflower to bulk it up, coconut for the flavor, and flaxseed for extra fiber. I love loading my smoothies up with all the toppings, but you do you. Add extra milk if you dig a thin smoothie or serve it extra thick in a bowl—where a spoon is your only option.
I hope you start your morning with my purple sweet potato + coconut smoothie! It is:
Vibrant in Color
Loaded with Nutrients
Healthy + Satisfying
& SO Delicious
For more delicious smoothie recipes try my sweetheart smoothie bowl, strawberry coconut shake, spiced sweet potato smoothie bowl, or blueberry walnut smoothie.
If you try this recipe, be sure to comment, leave a rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thelocalsprout on Instagram! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Purple Sweet Potato + Coconut Smoothie
- 1/2 large purple sweet potato steamed and frozen*
- 1/2 small banana frozen
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets steamed and frozen
- 1/2 cup coconut meat** frozen
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed flax meal
- 2/3 cup nut milk + more of thinning I used cashew milk
Chia Pudding (optional):
- 1 tsp. chia seed
- 1 Tbsp. nut milk
- 1/2 tsp. honey optional
- granola fresh fruit, shredded coconut, nut butter, chopped nuts
For the chia pudding:
- In a small bowl, mix chia seeds with nut milk and optional honey.
- Refrigerate for 5 minutes, stir and refrigerate for another 5 minutes, or until ready to use.
For the smoothie:
- Place all ingredients in blender***. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, scraping the edges halfway through to ensure evenness. If you enjoy your smoothie thinner, add more milk.
- Scrape into a bowl or cup using a rubber spatula, top with chia pudding and sprinkle with toppings if desired and serve immediately.