I believe every home needs a go-to salad. One that is classy, super basic, with flavors that everyone is familiar with.
Today I am sharing the dish that I make as a side for guests at dinner parties—or what I whip up for myself when I just want something easy.
This salad is loaded with fresh, crisp veggies, soft avocado, and a tangy + creamy dressing.
It may be simple, but this salad is the real deal.
Today I present to you: My House Salad.
I am a salad lover—give me a huge bowl of greens with all the toppings and I am happy. But some nights I just want something light to accompany our pasta entrée. This salad is just that. It is versatile in flavor—so it pairs great with just about any main dish.
I am also a lover of homemade salad dressing. Honestly, once you start making your own, there is no going back. Fortuently, this salad dressing requires just a handful of simple ingredients, a bowl and a hand ready to stir. No mess + no time wasted.
Don’t discount a simple salad—this salad could become your new favorite go-to.
I hope my house salad inspires you to create your own! It is:
Fresh + Crisp
Versatile in Flavor
Colorful + Familier
Quick to Whip-Up
& ready for any dinner!
If you try this recipe, be sure to comment, leave a rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thelocalsprout on Instagram! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
- 5 cups lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- ⅓ cup carrots, diced
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese (optional)*
- 4 Tbsp. hummus, garlic or plain (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried dill
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. honey (or sub maple syrup) *
- big pinch each salt + pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce, cherry tomatoes, onion, avocado, and carrots. Sprinkle with optional hemp seeds and grated parmesan cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hummus, lemon juice, dill, garlic, honey, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Serve with dressing drizzled over the top. Leftovers will keep best refrigerated separate in airtight containers for up to 2 days.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate of ¼ of the recipe without optional ingredients.