Some mornings I crave a sweet breakfast, some mornings, something extra savory calls my name.
I’m always looking for extra ways to get my greens in—smoothies, salads, etc. And this bowl gets them in first thing in the A.M.
This breakfast bowl, loaded with sautéed mushroom, kale, and sprinkled with my favorite savory granola is my go-to. It is easy to prep and keeps me fueled for the day ahead.
Brew a cup of coffee + get ready for this delicious Kale and Quinoa Breakfast Bowl!
The base of this breakfast bowl is quinoa—a grain high in protein and earthy in flavor. Next we top it with mushrooms, for a savory, meaty texture. These are tossed with kale—full of nutrients and fiber. And finally, the bowl is topped with cherry tomatoes and my savory granola for an extra crunch. This bowl is healthy—and seriously has it all.
If you’ve been looking to start the day off with a super healthy meal or need fuel for the day ahead, this bowl is for you. It also makes a fun brunch meal to share with friends.
My Kale and Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is everything you could want from a savory breakfast! It is:
Packed with protein
Simple to create
& a Healthy way to start the day!
If you love this savory bowl, you might also like my green goddess buddha bowls, tofu noodle bowls with peanut tamari dressing, butter bean stew with cauliflower steaks, or my easy avocado and leafy greens salad.
If you try this recipe, be sure to comment, leave a rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thelocalsprout on Instagram! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Kale and Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup sliced brown mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes more or less depending on spice preferences
- pinch each salt + pepper
- 3 cups kale tough stems removed and chopped
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- savory thyme granola optional, for topping
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside
- In a medium-sized pan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add the sliced mushroom and garlic. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft and fragrant.
- Add in the kale and sauté for another 3-5 minutes, or until kale is dark and wilted. Sprinkle with green onions.
- For serving, add a scoop of cooked quinoa to bowls. Top with sautéed kale and mushrooms. Top with cherry tomatoes and savory granola if desired.
- Leftovers will keep refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days, though best enjoyed fresh.
The Local Sprout