These breakfast bars have saved many-a-morning around here. We all have those days when we are running out the door and just need something super quick. Instead of reaching for the sugary granola bar or instant oatmeal packet, make a batch of these and save them for those hectic mornings.
I love how simple these breakfast bars are—and simple does not mean boring. Yes, they are easy to make, but also taste incredible and have a lovely, soft texture. If you haven’t tried a granola bar, breakfast bar, or breakfast cookie-type of recipe yet, this is definitely one to try.
The ingredients in these bars are ingredients that most people have on hand (or can easily substitute—suggestions given with each ingredient). You’ll be amazed what simple ingredients can do.
As always, when a recipe makes our lives better around here, I am so excited to share it with you all! Be sure to let me know in the comments what you think if you give this recipe a try. Also, tag me (@thelocalsprout) in all your photos on Instagram so I can see your creations! Enjoy friends!
- 2 large very ripe bananas, sliced
- 2½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats (ensure gluten-free for the gluten free eaters!)
- ½ cup plant-based milk (I used cashew milk—or sub dairy milk)
- 3 Tbsp. cashew butter (sub other nut butter or sunflower seed butter for nut-free option)
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup (sub honey or organic cane sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- nut butter, yogurt, fruit spread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 8x8 (or similar size) baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas until creamy. Stir in the oats, milk, cashew butter, cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla and salt until combined.
- Dump the mixture into the baking pan and smooth the surface the the back of a spatula until evenly distributed. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and firm.
- Let cool in pan completely before cutting into bars of desired size. Store in sealed container on counter for up to 3 days, in refrigerator for up to a week, or in freezer for up to a month.