Lately I’ve been on the “all things cauliflower” train.
Call me late to the game, but many of the wonders of cauliflower are still yet to be discovered—if you as me.
Enter: oatmeal. My beloved everyday breakfast.
I’d heard of people subbing cauliflower for their oats, but you could bet I was skeptical. Fortunately, I gave it a try-—after all, I was already adding cauliflower to my smoothies. After a few watery, poorly flavored attempts, I had myself a bowl as thick + creamy as my treasured oats—except without any grains.
Say hello to a new healthy breakfast—one where you won’t even miss the grains. Let’s make some Cinnamon-Almond Cauliflower “Oats”!
This recipe starts with a big scoop of riced cauliflower. Sometimes I make my own in a food processor, other times, I hit the Trader Joe’s frozen isle and grab a bag there. “Cauliflower rice” is so trendy right now, I’m fairly certain you can find it wherever you do your grocery shopping.
Next, we add the ingredients to bulk it up—coconut, flax meal, chia, and almonds. This superfood combo is loaded with healthy fats, fiber, and protein to get your morning off to a strong start.
Finally, the winner in this bowl is the creamy, ripe banana. The trick here is to find a banana so ripe that it is almost black. Think—the blacker, the sweeter. And you want the banana sweet. But… if these “oats” still are not sweet enough for you, go ahead and add that maple syrup—no judgement.
And that’s it. Easy cauliflower “oats”, loaded with healthy ingredients to get your day off to a great start!
I hope this new take on oatmeal hits your breakfast table! My Cinnamon-Almond Cauliflower “Oats” are:
Loaded with Nutrients
Hearty + Comforting
Infused with Almond
& SO Creamy!
- ¾ cup riced cauliflower, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 Tbsp. shredded dried coconut
- 1 Tbsp. flax meal
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. slivered almonds*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- ½ cup almond milk (or sub another plant-based milk) + extra if needed
- 1 large, very ripe banana, sliced
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (optional—for extra protein)
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup (optional—depending on how sweet you like your “oats”)
- almond butter, extra sliced banana, fresh berries, maple syrup
- Add riced cauliflower to a small pot or high-rimmed sauce pan over medium heat.**
- Once cauliflower is hot and beginning to get fluffy, stir in the coconut, flax meal, chia, slivered almonds, cinnamon, salt, and milk. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until mixture is very fluffy.
- Add the banana, optional collagen, and optional maple syrup. Continue to cook while mashing the banana into the “oats”.
- If you prefer a thinner oatmeal, add an extra splash of milk and remove from heat right away. If you like your oats thick, continue to cook for a few minutes—adding a splash of milk only if the mixture begins to stick to the bottom of the pot or pan.
- Once cooked to desired consistency***, transfer mixture from pan into a bowl, top with optional toppings and enjoy warm.
- Leftovers will keep refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days, though best enjoyed fresh.
**Another, faster option for cooking this recipe is to microwave the oats. Simply place all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl, mix, and microwave for 1-2 minutes on high, stir well, and microwave another 1-2 minutes of until mixture is hot and fluffy.
***Note that “oats” will thicken slightly after cooling a bit.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate of entire recipe without optional ingredients/toppings.