All hail my latest obsession—the chickpea salad sandwich.
Everyone loves a good sandwich. Especially ones loaded with textures, flavors and color.
I recently was visiting a vegan cafe and spotted a unique item on the menu. After devouring a chickpea-based take on a tuna salad sandwich on gluten free bread, I knew I had to recreate the wonder I just experienced—to share with you all!
Say hello to your new love—my Chickpea Salad Sandwich!
My chickpea salad sandwich is not your average sandwich. While it is a vegan take on the classic tuna salad, my chickpea salad lacks the fishy smell and has a much creamier texture. It is incredibly flavorful, hearty, and nutritious—the perfect combination for a sandwich filler in my opinion.
The base for my chickpea salad is smashed chickpeas (for thickness), mixed with mayo & mustard (for creamy-ness), lemon juice (for zest), onion & garlic (for the flavor), and celery & cucumber (for the crunch). Top that all with fresh tomatoes + lettuce and you’ve got yourself a satisfying sandwich!
I used my favorite Canyon Bakehouse Heritage Style Whole Wheat gluten free bread for my sandwich. This brand has its texture spot on and the flavor is perfect (you’d never know it is gf!). If you’re looking for a reliable gf bread, this Canyon Bakehouse has got your back!
I hope you love my chickpea salad sandwich recipe as much as I do! It is:
Creamy & crunchy
& the perfect weekday lunch!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. grainy mustard
- 3 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- big pinch black pepper
- 1/3 large yellow onion roughly diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely diced
- 1/2 medium-sized cucumber chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 20 cherry tomatoes halved
- 10 romaine lettuce leaves
- 8 slices gluten free bread
- In a large mixing bowl, smash chickpeas, mustard, mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper with a fork or smashing tool until the chickpeas are 3/4 smashed (or smashed to your preferred consistency).
- Stir in onion, garlic, cucumber, and celery until well combined.
- Layer the lettuce, chickpea salad and tomatoes over a slice of bread. Top with a second slice.
- Reserve leftover salad refrigerated in airtight container for up to 5 days. Spread over bread only when ready to enjoy.