Say hello to your new go-to dish that is easy, flavorful and satisfying!
We all have those moments when food needs to be made—for dinner, for a party, for lunches during the upcoming week—and we are utterly unprepared.
Today I present to you the perfect gluten-free and vegan* meal that is super customizable, effortlessly gourmet, healthy and comes together in only 45 minutes.
Let’s make some butter bean stew with cauliflower steaks!
This stew has become a staple around here. Everyone loves a cozy, veggie-packed stew. My stew also pairs perfectly with just about anything I serve it with. When topped with big cauliflower steaks, a couple fried eggs and my favorite pesto, these bowls feel like something straight out of a fancy, hip, restaurant.
I love making the butter bean stew portion of this on a Sunday night for dinner. The leftovers make easy lunches and taste great served with whatever grains—like quinoa or rice—that I happen to have cooked up for a different meal.
This recipe is so customizable. If you don’t happen to have green beans, leave them out and don’t think twice, it will taste amazing. Throw in your favorite Mexican seasoning blend and you’ve got yourself a spicy southwest dish! Ditch the fancy butter beans and throw in the cannelloni beans you’ve had in your pantry for 3 months! You do you and this recipe will still love you for it!
I hope this stew becomes a go-to for you! It is:
& so flavorful
If you try this recipe, be sure to comment, leave a rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thelocalsprout on Instagram! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Butter Bean Stew with Cauliflower Steaks
Butter Bean Stew:
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 celery stalks finely sliced into slivers
- 1 white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely diced
- 2 red bell peppers roughly chopped
- 1 cup green beans cut into 1 inch strips
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning or your favorite savory seasoning blend
- 1 tsp. salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 15- ounce cans butter beans or substitute other white beans
- 2-3 heads cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- sea salt
For the stew:
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the celery and onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add in the garlic peppers, green beans, chili pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the butter beans, cook for another minute and remove from heat.
- Serve stew over rice or quinoa if desired. Top with cauliflower steaks (recipe below). Finish with optional egg, coconut yogurt and/or pesto.
For the cauliflower steaks:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice cauliflower from top to bottom into 1/2 inch slices. Set any small pieces aside to enjoy with another meal or snack*
- Rub the cauliflower with coconut oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place on baking sheet and roast until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- All leftovers will keep refrigerated in airtight container(s) for up to 5 days.