These fat balls are one of my favorite snacks. They fill me up and keep me energized during the day (and taste incredible). I love calling them fat balls because the word “fat” is often used as such a negative. In fact, healthy fats (like the ones found in walnuts) are incredibly good for you. Healthy fats are satiating – meaning you will feel full longer. They also can assist in building muscle, maintaining a lean body composition, and put you less at risk of osteoporosis with stronger bones. Don’t diss the fat.Give these amazing homeade snacks a try! They are sure to get you through those long days.
Brownie Fat Balls
- 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts*
- 3/4 cup cacao powder I like this brand. Or sub cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups soft dates pitted
- Preheat ovan to 350 degrees.
- Spread the walnuts across a large baking sheet and toast until they are fragrant and golden – about 10 minutes**. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Add the walnuts to a food processor and pulse until they are ground into a flour. Add the cacao, salt, and vanilla. Pulse once more to combine.
- Add the dates slowly (one or two at a time) through the tube at the top off the food processor while the machine is running on low. Your finished mixture should resemble cake crumbles, but should stick together when pressed. (Add more dates if your mixture is too dry).
- Shape the dough into round, bite-sized pieces (feel free to vary the size so you have option when you get the craving). Store the balls in the freezer until ready to eat. Fat balls should last up to two months.