Cookies for breakfast anyone?
If you love a good muffin, you’re going to love my breakfast cookies. They are gluten free, vegan, naturally sweetened and loaded with protein to get you going first thing in the morning.
Let’s make Blackberry Breakfast Cookies!
I first had breakfast cookies a few years ago at a small cafe. The little, lightly sweetened, and tender cookies tasted just like a perfectly moist muffin. I was intrigued and set out to make my own version.
Since having my first breakfast cookie, I have played around with many different flavor combinations, but always come back to these. My blackberry breakfast cookies are made fluffy with oat flour, moist with banana, hearty with cashew butter, spiced with cinnamon, tart with blackberries and naturally sweet with maple syrup.
These sweet treats are a delicious (and nutritious) way to start your morning. The leftovers also make great snacks throughout your upcoming week.
My blackberry breakfast cookies are:
Soft on the inside
Serve these simple, 12-ingredient, allergen friendly, and quick-to-whip-up cookies at your next brunch and wow your friends with treats in the morning!
If you try this recipe, be sure to comment, leave a rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thelocalsprout on Instagram! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
- 1¼ cup rolled oats (ensure certified gluten free for gf eaters)
- ¾ cup oat flour*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 medium-sized banana
- ⅓ cup cashew butter
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup blackberries, sliced in half if they are large
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together oats, oat flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
- In a food processor or blender combine banana, cashew butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla. Blend until smooth, scraping the sides with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Gently stir in blackberries.
- Using a Tbsp. meaning spoon, scoop out batter and drop on lined baking sheet. Flatten each cookie gently with a spoon.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden and firm.
- Transfer to cooling rack until ready to eat.
Nutrition information is a rough estimate of 1 cookie out of 12