Who else has been doing lots of traveling this summer?
Traveling is awesome, seeing new places is amazing, but it sure can get expensive. One thing we’ve done to save money is cook the majority of our meals from our airbnb kitchen.
The next few recipes that I will be sharing with you all will be focused around healthy and easy meals you can cook from a hotel or airbnb kitchen.
Let’s start these recipes out with my favorite 7-minute sweet potato bowl!
I love this recipe because it is so customizable and makes no mess. All you need is a big sweet potato, a microwave, a fork and a big handful of fresh, hard veggies. Any other toppings are totally optional.
Plus, this bowl is 100% gluten free and vegan!
Here’s the deal, hit up a grocery store, buy those sweet potatoes, a couple different veggies, and whatever else you want. Everything I’ve listed below can usually be consumed by two people in a few days or easily packed in a checked bag for your flight home
This recipe is not just a travel recipe either. I make it all the time for week day lunches when I don’t have time to prep the night before.
So, with only a couple ingredients and 7 minutes, you can have this sweet potato bowl on your table in no time!
If you try this recipe, be sure to comment, leave a rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thelocalsprout on Instagram! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
7-minute Sweet Potato Bowl
- 1 medium-sized sweet potatoes rinsed and scrubbed
- 1 cup sliced hard veggies—carrots celery, rutabaga, radishes, etc.
- Prick your sweet potato a few times with your fork. The outside should be evenly punctured with little holes.
- Wrap your sweet potato in a paper towel (if you don’t have one, this is not necessary, it just helps the steaming process) and microwave for 3 minutes, flip, and microwave for another 3 minutes. Your sweet potato should be very soft.
- Throw your sweet potato into a bowl and mash well with a fork, pealing off any hard spots on the skin if needed. The skin is fine to eat as long as you cleaned it well before microwaving.
- Once potato is mashed, top with your favorite veggies and optional add-ins. Serve warm.
- Top your veggies with the sweet potato mash, enjoy the mixture with a fork, or scoop up the potato with crackers.