Mango Poppy Seed Muffins
Two things that I have much love for are mangos and cornbread. Both remind me of summer and both have beautiful memories tied to them. I was inspired to make these after seeing a few recipes on other food blogs incorporating fruit and cornmeal. The combo—though unique—peaked my interest and I had to give it a try. Mangos are super cheap at the farmers market currently, since they are currently in season. Thus, these muffins came to be. If you’re looking for a unique muffin to bring to your next picnic, a tasty (and easy) breakfast for the road, or even a simple grain to pair with vanilla icecream for dessert, this recipe is for you! Lets make some muffins!
First, lets talk about those fond memories I have with mango and cornbread…Back in 2016 I spent the summer in Colorado. I remember hiking mountains with a couple fresh mangos (purchased from a farmers market for 50 cents each) in my backpack. They’d be there along with my pocket knife, ready to be sliced and eaten on the hot trails. As for the cornbread, many of you know that Mark and I served gluten free cornbread muffins
at our wedding. This was done in place of normal dinner rolls and let me tell you, they were a hit.
These muffins are unique in that they utilize chickpea flour (like my cherry dutch baby recipe
!)—which adds a soft texture, extra protein, and earthy flavor. Chickpea flour is quickly becoming one of my favorite gluten free baking flours because of its versatileness and its inexpensive price point. Pick yourself up a bag next time your in Whole Foods or order some online (I liked to brand I use below)—it’ll be worth it!
I am so excited for you all to try my Mango Poppy Seed Muffins! As always, if you try this recipe, be sure to take a picture of your muffins and tag me in it on Instagram @thelocalsprout. I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Mango Poppy Seed Muffins
Author: The Local Sprout
Recipe type: Snack, Side, Dessert
Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (ensure gluten free for gf eaters)
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ cup plant based milk (I used cashew milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ ripe mango, diced into roughly ⅛ inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease your muffin tins* (or line with cupcake liners) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk chickpea flour, cornmeal, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the honey, eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir until well combined. Gently stir in the mango.
- Fill each muffin cup until about ⅔ full with batter and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until dark and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Let rest in muffin tins for about 10 minutes then carefully remove and let cool on cooking rack until ready to serve.
*I used medium-sized muffin tins, but mini or regular sized muffin tins will work as well—just note that the baking time will vary slightly.
Serving size: 1 (of 12 muffins) Calories: 234 Fat: 10.4g Saturated fat: 3.3g Unsaturated fat: 0g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 32.6g Sugar: 15.6g Sodium: 175mg Fiber: 4.2g Protein: 5.4g Cholesterol: 27mg
The Local Sprout