Gluten Free Avocado Toast with Za’atar
As I’ve complained about before, the struggle in the age of avocado toast is being gluten free and never having good bread. This recipe for gluten-free toast is so delicious and perfect topped with all the avocado. While my recipe for Everything Flatbread is still a winner in my book, it is nice to have a thicker - and more protein-packed version of bread on hand.
Another thing that I like about this toast recipe is that it pairs nicely with sweet toppings such as nut-butters and fruit. While the ingredients may seen a bit obscure, I definitely recommend purchasing them if you plan on doing more gf baking. I use almond flour all the time, coconut flour helps make doughs a bit drier, and flaxseed meal helps make dough sticky.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. collagen peptides (optional - adds protein)
- ripe avocado
- chili flakes
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bread pan well.
- Whisk together eggs and vinegar in a large bowl.
- Mix in the remainder of ingredients until completely combined and smooth.
- Dump the dough into the bread pan and bake in oven for 25 minutes or until firm. Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes before removing and placing on cooling rack.
- Bread will keep for about a week in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
- Slice bread thin and top with avocado - either sliced or mashed**. Sprinkle lightly with za’atar, chili flakes, and sea salt. Serve immediately.
**If you have extra avocado, keep it in the peel if possible. Rub lightly with coconut oil and wrap tightly. I use bee’s wrap. This process will help keep your avocado fresh and green.
*recipe inspired by the amazing Rachl Mansfield